CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — The son of Venezuela’s top human rights official is urging his father to prevent further bloodshed tied to anti-government street clashes as officials defy international criticism by withdrawing from the Organization of American States.
Yibram Saab said in an online video that he attended an opposition march Wednesday that was planned to reach the offices of his father, national ombudsman Tarek William Saab. Police fired tear gas and rubber bullets that were blamed for the death of a college student.
“This could’ve been me,” said the younger Saab, staring into the camera and pleading with his father to help restore the constitutional order that the son said was broken by the Supreme Court’s decision last month to gut the opposition-led congress of its last vestiges of power. “Dad, you have the power to put an end to the injustice that has drowned the country.”
In what turned into a battle of political kids Thursday, the son of socialist President Nicolas Maduro responded with a letter saying he regretted his friend’s decision to seek “three minutes of fame” with a video being used as a “trophy of war” by the government’s enemies.
“Those who today marched by your side are using your father’s love to manipulate the country,” Nicolas Maduro Guerra wrote.
The elder Saab said in an interview that he loved his son and respected his views even if they disagreed.
The exchange came on the heels of a tumultuous day that saw Venezuela’s socialist administration follow through on a threat to quit the OAS, accusing the regional group of plotting against it.
Maduro’s government announced the decision to withdraw after a brief but contentious OAS session in Washington at which representatives voted to convene a special meeting of the region’s foreign ministers to evaluate Venezuela’s crisis.
“We won’t recognize any meeting, any decision by the OAS that violates international law,” Maduro said Thursday at a rally of government supporters. “Go to hell, OAS.”